CANCELLED: Update your academic publishing toolbox - PhD course for SCIENCE/SUND In-Person
COURSE IS CANCELLED
Scholarly publishing is a cornerstone of the scientific professions and the universities they are affiliated with. This one-day workshop is designed to address the opportunities and challenges facing junior researchers who are ready to publish or already publishing their research and research data. The aim of the workshop is to strengthen the junior researcher’s knowledge of how to publish their work responsibly and at the same time fulfill the demands of University of Copenhagen, the project funders and the surrounding research community. The course will cover:
• Copyright in publishing
• Creative Commons licences
• Open access publishing
• Bibliometric and altmetric indicators and what they mean for the researcher
• Research impact and evaluation
• Registration and management of research activities in CURIS
• Data management and the FAIR principles
Participants will also have the opportunity to put forward their questions and problems for discussion. Active participation and exchange of ideas are encouraged.
Participants are able to:
- actively discuss the different facets of academic publishing including what to consider when publishing Open Access, when licensing their work, making their work visible and consider how their work can be evaluated.
- reflect on the impact and influence the different facets of academic publication can have on their own publishing behavior and future publishing strategies.
The workshop is a combination of presentations, discussions, teaching cases and hands-on activities..
Preparation and workload
This 8 hour workshop releases 1 ECTS point, requiring 16 hours of comprehensive preparation. As a participant you are required to:
- complete a digital survey containing preparatory questions that must be filled in one week before the start of the workshop. The survey will be sent to the email you use to register for the workshop. In order to receive the ECTS credit you must fill out and submit the survey. The responses to the survey will only be used on an aggregated level and to inform the content of the workshop. Individual responses will only be used when permission is granted by the course participant.
- before the workshop, read the curriculum and complete the required assignments. The curriculum will be sent to the email you used to register for the course. It is not necessary to have read the literature before completing the survey described in the requirements above.
- make sure that you bring your computer and are connected to the institutional Wi-Fi, Eduroam
PhD students from SCIENCE and SUND, University of Copenhagen. Academic staff (VIP) is also welcomed.
Undervisningslokale 4, Bygn. 10.3.374 Universitetsparken
Participation all day (8:30-16:30) is required to receive credit.
Course certificates are issued after the workshop and the course evaluation has been submitted. The certificates are sent to the participants by mail. You are required to forward to the PhD school at your faculty to receive credit. Some faculties/PhD schools require PhD students to use FrontPlanner when allocating ECTS credits, so make sure how it works at your faculty/PhD school.
Copenhagen University Library, Department for Research Support - firstname.lastname@example.org
Refreshments are provided. Please inform us one week before the course about dietary requirements.
Morning: Coffee, tea and croissants
Afternoon: Coffee, tea and cake
Participation is free of charge but registration is binding. Cancellation must be received in writing and submitted to email@example.com no later than 7 days prior course start for the sake of logistic reasons and to avoid waste of food.
Last day for registration
April 16 2020
15 (not including the presenters). Notification of cancellation will be emailed one week prior course start.
- 8:30 - 16:30
- Time Zone:
- Central European Time (change)
- SUND: Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences - Universitetsparken 2