Open up your Academic Publishing Toolbox - a course for PhD students at SUND/SCIENCE
This course consists of online workshop sessions over two days: 23/3 & 25/3-2021 from 8:30 to 12:30 and participation on both days is required to receive credit.
Academic publishing is a cornerstone in any research career and the foundation for how universities and funders evaluate the researchers.
This course will address the opportunities and challenges that you as PhD student might face in the process of publishing your research as journal articles (or monographs) and data publications. The aim of the course is to provide you with knowledge, skills and tools for publishing your research openly and responsibly while fulfilling the demands of your university, your funder and your research community.
The workshop sessions will cover:
- Copyright in publishing
- Creative Commons licenses
- Open access publishing
- Responsible metrics and evaluation of researchers
- Research impact and evaluation
- Management and optimization of researcher profiles
- Data management and the FAIR principles
You will also have the opportunity to put forward your questions and problems for discussion. Active participation and exchange of ideas is encouraged.
After the course, you will be able to:
- Plan your research and develop suitable publishing strategies together with your supervisor and colleagues
- Apply your new knowledge to publish your research in a responsible way
- Interpret terms and conditions from publishers
- Choose appropriate and preferably open publishing models for your manuscripts and research data
- Increase the visibility of your publications and research data
- Use bibliometric indicators responsibly and strategically to make your research visible in applications for funding and research positions
This course consists of different online workshop sessions. All sessions contain a combination of presentations, discussions, teaching cases and hands-on activities.
Preparation and workload
Completion of the course yields 1 ECTS equivalent to a total of 21 working hours, including preparation and homework assignments. In addition to participating in all workshop sessions on both course days, you are required to:
- complete a digital survey containing preparatory questions that must be filled in one week before the start of the course. The survey will be sent to the email you use to register for the workshop. In order to receive the ECTS credit you must fill out and submit the survey. Expect to use 1 hour on the survey.
- before the course, read the curriculum and complete the required assignments, about 10 hours preparation in total. The curriculum will be sent to the email you used to register for the course.
- complete the small homework assignment, which should take no more than 3 hours. In order to receive the 1 ECTS credit you must complete the assignment within 5 working days after course end. The homework assignment will be introduced during the course.
PhD students from SCIENCE and SUND, University of Copenhagen. Academic staff (VIP) and PhD students from other universities are also welcomed, however 80% of the places on the course are reserved for PhD students from the University of Copenhagen.
Link to Zoom will be sent to the attendees a week before course start.
Zoom – you will receive the link one week before course start.
You must participate in all workshop sessions on both days and complete the assignments for preparation and homework as described above in order to receive the ECTS credit.
You will receive the course certificate by mail after the end of the course and once you have completed the evaluation and the homework assignment. You are required to forward to the PhD school at your faculty to receive credit. Some faculties/PhD schools require PhD students to use FrontPlanner when allocating ECTS credits, so make sure how it works at your faculty/PhD school.
Copenhagen University Library, Department for Research Support - email@example.com
Participation is free of charge but registration is binding. If you need to cancel your participation, you must do this by email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 7 days prior to course start.
Last day for registration
15 (not including the presenters). In case of cancellation of the course, you will be notified by email 7 days prior course start.
- 8:30 - 12:30
- Time Zone:
- Central European Time (change)
- Online på Zoom