NVivo for your literature reviews In-Person
The workshop "NVivo for your literature reviews" builds on participants’ knowledge gained from the introductory course - NVivo - Introduction to Qualitative Data Analysis Software (QDAS) / Introduktion til kvalitativ dataanalyse-software (QDAS). If you are interested in working with interview data in NVivo, please attend the advanced NVivo course NVivo og interviewdata
NVivo has advanced features that can help qualitative researchers, but it can also help with analytical writing. In the workshop "NVivo for your literature reviews" we focus on literature reviews using PDF articles as the data source, but the techniques and discussions we cover in the workshop can also be used when writing articles, conference papers, and student assignments. This is because NVivo helps you organize and “code” (categorize) your literature, identify concepts and visualize relationships between them and document your method. It can also be helpful in generating hypotheses and generally getting an overview of your project.
At the end of the workshop participants will have learned and practised:
- setting-up an NVivo project: importing data from reference managers, creating folders, using case nodes, classifications attributes and code books
- using basic analysis features of NVivo: revising the coding structure, creating sets, working with annotations, applying ‘see also links’, and memoing
- performing queries and creating frameworks to allow you to compare coded material across different demographics or among themes and documenting your work
Preperation for the workshop
Prior to the course, you must install the newest version of NVivo on your computer. Download and registration for students from the University of Copenhagen is via the UCPH Software Library. Here you'll find a link to QSR International - Nvivo. Click on the link and accept the agreement. You can now start the download and installation process. You'll see three text files:
1. Nvivoinstallation.txt - an empty file referring you to the instructions in Nvivo_Win-Mac_Vejledning.txt
2. Nvivo_Win-Mac_Vejledning.txt - follow the instructions in this file to install Nvivo
3. Nvivo_Win-Mac_License key 2022 - Save the licence key where you can find it. You'll need to copy/paste the key in a dialogue box during the installation process
In case of any difficulties in this process, please contact Copenhagen University’s Service desk.
Data needed for the workshop
You are also required to import a sample set of PDF articles into your reference manager that are available in the Absalon course room. Please find the Absalon course room and more information about how to prepare for the course HERE.
Instruction in Nvivo on both PC and Mac will be covered during the workshop. However, the teaching is based on the PC version of NVivo, where especially for literature reviews the program works best. The Mac-version of the Nvivo is not on the same level as the PC version. There are some functions that are not available on the Mac.
The course requires a minimum of six participants.
Course location: SAMF: Faculty Library for the Social Sciences, Gothersgade 140, 1123 København K
/Lorna Wildgaard (email@example.com)
Related LibGuide: KUB Datalab by Christian Knudsen
- 10:00 - 12:00
- Time Zone:
- Central European Time (change)
- KUB Datalab - Samf
- SAMF: Det Samfundsvidenskabelige Fakultetsbibliotek, Gothersgade 140, 1123 København K