NVivo for your literature reviews In-Person
NVivo has advanced features that can help qualitative researchers, but it can also help with analytical writing. In this workshop we focus on literature reviews, but the techniques and discussions we cover in the workshop can also be used when writing articles, conference papers, and student assignments. This is because NVivo helps you organize and “code” (categorize) your literature, identify concepts and visualize relationships between them and document your method. It can also be helpful in generating hypotheses and generally getting an overview of your project.
At the end of the workshop participants will have learned and practised:
- setting-up an NVivo project: importing data from reference managers, creating folders, using case nodes, classifications attributes and code books
- using basic analysis features of NVivo: creating parent and child nodes, coding to nodes, reviewing and changing coding, annotations, applying ‘see also links’, and memoing
- performing queries and creating frameworks to allow you to compare coded material across different demographics or among themes
Preperation for the workshop
Prior to the course, you must install the newest version of NVivo on your computer. Download and registration for students from the University of Copenhagen is via the UCPH Software Library. Here you find a link to QSR International - Nvivo. Click on the link and accept the agreement. You can now start the download and installation process. You'll see three text files:
1. Nvivoinstallation.txt - an empty file referring you to the instructions in Nvivo_Win-Mac_Vejledning.txt
2. Nvivo_Win-Mac_Vejledning.txt - follow the instructions in this file to install Nvivo
3. Nvivo_Win-Mac_License key 2022 - Save the licence key where you can find it. You'll need to copy/paste the key in a dialogue box during the installation process
In case of any difficulties in this process, please contact Copenhagen University’s Service desk.
Data needed for the workshop
You are also required to import a sample set of PDF articles into your reference manager that are available in the Absalon course room. Please find the Absalon course room and more information about how to prepare for the course HERE
The teaching is based on the PC version of NVivo, where especially for literature reviews the program works best. The Mac-version of the programme is not on the same level as the PC version, but you can of course attend the course with a Mac but there will be some functions not available for you to use.
The workshop "NVivo for your literature reviews" builds on participants’ knowledge gained from the introductory course - NVivo - Introduction to Qualitative Data Analysis Software (QDAS) / Introduktion til kvalitativ dataanalyse-software (QDAS). The introductory course is offered multiple times throughout the year in both Danish and English. If you are interested in working with interview data in NVivo, please attend the advanced NVivo course NVivo og interviewdata
The course requires a minimum of six participants.
Course location: SAMF: Faculty Library for the Social Sciences, Gothersgade 140, 1123 København K
/Lorna Wildgaard (email@example.com)
Related LibGuide: KUB Datalab by Christian Knudsen
- 10:00 - 12:00
- Time Zone:
- Central European Time (change)
- KUB Datalab - Samf
- SAMF: Det Samfundsvidenskabelige Fakultetsbibliotek, Gothersgade 140, 1123 København K