!!COURSE CANCELLED!! // Open up your Academic Publishing Toolbox - a course for PhD students // Natural and Health Sciences // !!COURSE CANCELLED!! In-Person
This course is a one-day workshop that takes place on the 28th of september 2023 from 8:45 to 16:00. Participation for the whole day and completion of assignments is required to receive 1 ECTS credit.
Academic publishing is a cornerstone in any research career and the foundation for how universities and funders evaluate the researchers. This course will address the opportunities and challenges that you as a PhD student might face in the process of publishing your research, as journal articles (or monographs) and data publications. The aim of the course is to provide you with knowledge, skills and tools for publishing your research openly and responsibly while fulfilling the requirements of your university, your funder and your research community.
The course will cover:
- Copyright in publishing
- Creative Commons licenses
- Open Access publishing
- Evaluation of researchers
- The FAIR principles for research data
You will also have the opportunity to put forward your questions and problems for discussion. Active participation and exchange of ideas is encouraged.
After the course, you will be able to:
- Develop suitable publishing strategies together with your supervisor and colleagues
- Apply your new knowledge to publish your research in a responsible way
- Interpret terms and conditions from publishers
- Choose appropriate and preferably open publishing models for your manuscripts and research data
- Increase the visibility of your publications and research data
- Make your research activities visible for evaluation by understanding evaluation criteria and strategically manage your research profiles
This workshop consists of different sessions with presentations, discussions, cases and hands-on activities.
Preparation and workload
Completion of the course yields 1 ECTS equivalent to a maximum of 25 working hours, as agreed between the graduate schools. These hours include preparatory reading, homework assignments (described below) and participation in the entire workshop day.
The assignments you are required to complete before the workshop and after the workshop as homework are:
- complete a digital survey with containing preparatory questions. You must fill in and submit the survey one week before the start of the course in order to receive the ECTS credit. The survey takes about 1 hour to complete and will be sent to the email you use to register for the course. Please use your KU email if you are affiliated with the University of Copenhagen.
- prepare for the course with mandatory literature and several small assignments. You should expect to spend up to 10 hours on preparation before the course. You will receive detailed information about the course curriculum after registration.
- complete and submit a small homework assignment within 5 working days after course end. This assignment takes a maximum of 3 hours to complete. Completion of the homework assignment is mandatory in order to receive the ECTS credit. The homework assignment will be introduced during the course
- fill out an evaluation form within 5 working days after the course.
This course is targeted at PhD students at the University of Copenhagen and focuses on research related to natural, technical, health and medical sciences. Academic staff (VIP) and PhD students from other universities are also welcome. However, 80% of the places on the course are reserved for PhD students from the University of Copenhagen.
Absalon - course administration, communication and assignments
Please note that you have to use Absalon in order to participate in the course. Absalon is the University of Copenhagen's digital learning platform.
All participants employed at the University of Copenhagen will receive an invitation for the course in Absalon to their KU mail. Please accept this invitation and log on with your regular credentials.
Information for participants not affiliated to UCPH
Participants who do not have UCPH credentials will receive login details to Absalon via email.
KUB Nord Lighthouse - Copenhagen University Library KUB Nord, Nørre Allé 49, 2200 København N
Morning: Coffee, tea and croissants
Afternoon: Coffee, tea and cake
You must participate in all workshop sessions and complete the assignments for preparation and homework as described above in order to receive the ECTS credit.
You will receive the course certificate by mail after the end of the course and completion of the course evaluation and the homework assignment. We use the name from your course registration on your course certificate.
You are required to forward the certificate to the PhD school at your faculty to receive credit. Note that some faculties/PhD schools require PhD students to use frontPlanner when allocating ECTS credits.
Copenhagen University Library, Department for Research Support (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Participation is free of charge but registration is binding. If you need to cancel your participation, you must do this by email to email@example.com no later than 7 days prior to course start.
Last day for registration
We require a minimum number of 18 registered participants in order to conduct the course. In case of cancellation of the course, will notify you by email 7 days prior to course start.
Personal Data Protection Policy
Never write sensitive personal data, such as your CPR or personal health data. Copenhagen University Library/The Royal Danish Library uses your personal data to process your registration to the course, e.g. for e-mail correspondence and forwarding of course diploma. Note that in certain instances your personal data may be transferred outside the EU/EEA, as our software provider Springshare is located in the US (Springshare is only used for registration the participants). More information about how Copenhagen University Library/Royal Danish Library processes personal data can be found here. You can contact Copenhagen University Library’s/Royal Danish Library’s data protection officer (DPO) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8:45 - 16:00
- Time Zone:
- Central European Time (change)
- KUB Nord: Lighthouse
- KUB Nord - Natur og Sundhedsvidenskab, Nørre Allé 49, 2200 København N